Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sweet Honey in the Rock at the Kimmel Center


I first learned of the writer/philosopher Khalil Gibran from my mother’s friend, Mrs. Asmar. She was from Lebanon but had lived in Cote d’Ivoire for many years, including the time my family was there. She was very proud of the work of Khalil Gibran and because he, too, was from Lebanon. What I vividly remember is my mother reading his On Children to me, a six-year old and I could not understand it. She then got out her Sweet Honey in the Rock albums, not CD’s ,and she played their interpretation of On Children and I got it. And it is a piece of literature that I treasure and still share. This post is for you-Mr. and Mrs. Asmar.

Give a listen to Sweet Honey in the Rock, who will perform on Saturday, February 6, 2010 , 3:00 p.m., at the Kimmel Center, in Philadelphia. They will take your breath away.

On Children:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtplvvyl7k0

Breaths :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3e-zLKyZLw&NR=1

Would You Harbor Me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp7JD5DP5FQ&NR=1

The Kimmel Center
260 South Broad Street
Philadelphia,PA 19102
215-893-1999



1 comment:

Marsha Wesley Coleman said...

Hi Sojourner - I have been enjoying your blog. Your mother and Mona told me about it. I am Marva's sister Marsha. We hope to go to see Sweet Honey in the Rock on Saturday. We have the tickets but we hope it doesn't get snowed out! They are amazing as you so eloquently stated. Keep up the beautiful writing. We are proud of you!