Monday, May 16, 2011

Philly's French Connection Continues- PA Ballet and Le Bec-Fin Present Evenings of French Elegance



Sorry for the long silence. I have been creating DNA models and writinng comparative essays on  Macbeth.

Our city just concluded its first Philadelphia International Arts Festival and many of its events were French-themed. Philadelphia and France have a long history and this relationship has only grown. Here are a few of my favorite places with a French Connection:



1. Avril 50 is a very quaint, very European shop where you can buy newspapers and magazines from around the world. I buy my French language magazines from here, particularly those with a focus on Africa.

Avril50
3406 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
215-222-6108


2. When I first returned to Philadelphia from Cote d’Ivoire, I took French classes at Alliance Francaise de Philadelphie to maintain my French. It was so much fun and my instructor was from Cameroon. She was vey familiar with where I had come from and she was so helpful with my transition to my new home. Alliance Francaise has maintained its presence in Philadelphia since 1903 and offers a wide range of courses from conversational classes to specialized French courses in literature and history to name a few. They also plan fun events for Bastille Day. And its cost is so affordable!


Alliance Francaise de Philadelphie
1420 Walnut Street #700
Philadelphia, PA 19102
(215) 735-5283


3. Also, when I first relocated to Philadelphia, my mother tried to get me and my brother into the French International School of Philadelphia. She really wanted us to maintain our French, but our going there wasn’t in the cards. You know me by now,I am always partial to any place where languages flourish.


The French International School
150 North Highland Avenue
Lower Merion, PA 19066
(610) 667-1284

I am in a French kind of mood, too, because the Pennsylvania Ballet will present as its season finale La Fille Mal Gardée. Not only can you see a great ballet, but you can participate in a package deal where you begin the evening eating a four-course meal at the legendary French restaurant Le Bec-Fin. I have always wanted to eat there, but it was a bit too pricey for my family’s budget. Not now. This package deal is doable and a fun treat us girls, our moms and aunties. This artsy combo is only available for the June 2nd and June 10th performances. For more information about planning your evening of French fun call 215-587-6921 or email abackman@paballet.org
Bon Appétit !

For more information about the Pennsylvania Ballet's production of La Fille Mal Gardée, visit http://www.paballet.org/program_V_1011.html
























No comments: