Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Kiss of the Spider-Lady; Louise Bourgeois








March is Women’s History Month and I’ve decided to give a holla to women who are new to me. I’m also asking you guys to share with me some examples of cool women you think my readers should know.

I recently learned about an incredible sculptor named Louise Bourgeois. She was born in 1911 in France and immigrated to the States in 1938. She works in wood, rubber, bronze stone and other materials. She’s known for many things, especially her spider sculptures which I love. I would like to see her work in person. She has some work on exhibit at the Guggenheim in New York. I can start there.

Her work really speaks for itself. Here is a link to learn more about Louise Bourgeois.
http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/bourgeois/index.html#
The work above is Arch of Hysteria, Eyebenches, which are real benches you can sit on, and one of her many spider creations.

No comments: